Sunday, 12 July 2009

More Smap

Last night, being the first Saturday night I have been home and not working, I watched this season's popular trendy drama, Mr Brain featuring Smap's Takuya Kimura (known as 'Kimutaku'). Unfortunately it turned out to be the last in the series and the second of a two-parter to boot but I watched it anyway. Mr Brain is a bar host who is injured in an accident and wakes up to discover he's a genius. Last night he was helping police solve a fiendish crime and stop a bombing campaign. In the final scene he gets to do what all successful Japanese do, he leaves Japan and goes to America. On the plane is a masked hijacker. Mr Brain pulls off the hijacker's mask to reveal his Smap colleague, Shingo Katori. Then at 11pm Shingo Katori was hosting a programme about hot new products to buy. I fell asleep before it came on but not before I had seen a camera advert featuring Kimutaku. So you see you just can't escape Smap. I'm not saying I don't like them. They first appeared in 1988 and I first visited Japan in 1987 so in a rapidly changing society, Smap have been a rather comforting constant, to me and to the Japanese people. Their message is, if you work hard enough for long enough you can succeed. Regardless of talent or lack thereof. Check them out on Youtube. The first is Smap singing the Hikaru Utada hit 'Wait and See - Risk'(that's her in the car). They are singing live - don't say I didn't warn you. The second is the video for their 1997 hit and my personal karaoke favourite, 'Dynamite' with English subtitles and no consideration for health and safety. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment