Thursday, 16 July 2009

Natsubate!


Noooooooooooooo! The meteorological agency has announced that rainy season is officially over. No more rain is forecast and the temperature has soared to 33 degrees in the daytime, 25 at night. And little Japanese apartments have poor ventilation so when I got home last night at 7pm it was 35 degrees in my lounge. In the windowless capsule bathroom I could almost see the shampoo boiling. The humidity is far worse. I am so swollen up that I have to run my hands under the cold tap in the evenings just to get my rings off. On the plus side, I don't have a wrinkle on my face ...

In my galley kitchen I keep thinking I've left the hob on because the heat is intense. But apart from making cups of tea I'm not having any more hot foods at home. The best thing to do is to eat at a local 'family restaurant' (a diner). You can sit there for hours and the aircon is so icy that after 30 minutes your teeth start chattering. Of course, as older Japanese people keep reminding me, such cold aircon is not good for health. Yesterday I went to my local supermarket to stand by the freezers only to discover a man already there, lying on the floor. He was telling the ambulance crew that the change in temperature had been too much for him.

The UV rays are so fierce that women who wish to keep their pale complexions (and avoid skin cancer) must plan ahead as above. So I've got my: UV visor, full length gloves, parasol, and scarf. If I can keep my cool I will avoid natsubate (pronounced 'natsu bat tay') - heat exhuastion or summer lethargy.

No comments:

Post a Comment