Sunday, 29 November 2009

I have a coupon...



Last week my students were practising an important conversation, how to shop at Duty Free, when one student introduced the phrase, "I have a coupon". This got a big laugh. Shopping with discount coupons has become popular in recent years and in the big cities you can pick up coupon magazines like the ones above. They give details about restaurants, shops, nail bars and beauty salons together with photos of the premises and the various menus on offer. Japanese people like to see exactly what they are getting in advance.

The Japanese government wants us to spend money too. This week I received from them my 12,000 Yen spending money (that`s 82 pounds, 75 pence at today`s rate). Every Japan-based taxpayer can apply and receive this. Apparently if we all go out and spend it we will jump-start the economy. I`m buying books. I have a coupon ...

No comments:

Post a Comment