Sunday, 10 June 2012

Female Role Model

Last week in Intercultural Communication class we discussed gender issues and I put some controversial statements up for the students to discuss. Unfortunately, most students agreed with them.  Here are some of their responses.

WOMEN ARE BETTER PARENTS THAN MEN.

Yes, we are together many times.

Yes, because mother had born us.

Yes, mother usually take care of children and do housework.

Yes, I like my mother.

Yes, father doesn't stay at home most of the time.

Yes, mother knows everything about me.

Yes, mother is easy to talk.

Yes, mothers do housework to us.

Mother and children spend most time together.

Mother thinks of children more than fathers.

Yes, I tell my mother more than my father.

No, because they give me same loves.

No, both of them have good points.

No, my father lets me alone.

We can't compare them.

No, both of them are important for me.  I can't compare.


MEN ARE BETTER AT BUSINESS THAN WOMEN.

Yes, women's happiness is money.

Yes men have a power than women.

Yes, women have housework and take care of children

Women can't compartible housework and business.

Yes, men is ore powerful than women,

It is difficult for women to keep up her physical condition good.


I WANT MY FUTURE HUSBAND/WIFE/PARTNER TO BE BETTER EDUCATED THAN ME.

Yes, we like smart men.

I don't care.  We don't need educate.

We don't care because we think his character is most important point.

No, I can't grow to worse educated than me.

******************

It's very difficult to open students' eyes to the gender discrimination inherent in the Japanese cultural system.  For more on this, see my article in the Times Higher Education:

Burton, From Where I Sit - Female Role Model, Times Higher Education, 31 May, 2012. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=420106&c=1

No comments:

Post a Comment